Transnational and Remote Access (TA and RA)
Are you a scientist working in the areas of biodiversity, biogeochemistry, hydrology or socio-ecological research? Do you want to study the natural environment at one of our well-equipped research sites?
Our H2020 project eLTER PLUS provides opportunities to perform research focussed on a selection of LTER-Europe sites handpicked for the purpose of small to medium scale ecological and socio-ecological projects.
Transnational Access (TA) enables in-person visits (e.g. to collect and analyse data) to one or more LTER sites/LTSER platforms involved in the scheme.
Remote Access (RA) enables the execution of activities at sites by the local teams, which are defined by “remote users” (e.g. measurements, data collection, and experiments according to instructions and protocols provided by the remote users).
eLTER PLUS encourages users to combine TA- and RA-related project work where they can test hands-on procedures and refine the protocol at one site, and then have the same protocol performed at other sites remotely.
Please consider that due to possible COVID-related travel restrictions, at present, a focus on RA is recommended.
- Brasschaat - TA & RA
- Lysina - TA & RA
- Hobe - TA & RA
- TERENO - Harz - TA & RA
- TERENO - Siptenfelde - TA & RA
- TERENO - Bode catchment - TA & RA
- TERENO - Wüstebach - TA & RA
- TERENO - Rollesbroich - TA & RA
- TERENO - Selhausen - TA & RA
- Rhine-Main-Observatory - TA & RA
- Koiliaris CZO - TA & RA
- Northern Negev - TA & RA
- Lago Maggiore - TA & RA
- Engure - TA & RA
- Montado - TA & RA
- Braila Islands - TA & RA
- Fruska gora - TA & RA
- Postojna - TA & RA
Second TA-RA call tentative dates
Call opening: 22 November 2021
Deadline for Submissions: 31 January 2022
Evaluation and notification of outcome: 15 March 2022
What is provided?
All sites included in the eLTER PLUS (Transnational Access) TA and (Remote Access) RA Scheme are equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation to enable comprehensive ecological measurement and experimental campaigns. The long-term data on those sites is available to compare with or to be used as a reference. Likewise, state-of-the-art socio-economic research is conducted at several of them. IT facilities are provided for data upload, storage and processing. The sites, which were selected to represent all European biogeographic zones, are described at the eLTER PLUS website and in the eLTER Site Catalogue.
While the scheme will support both single-site and multiple-site projects (i.e. requiring co-ordinated work and data synthesis across two or more sites), preference will be given to research targeting multi-site use and taking advantage of the eLTER site network.
For more information, consult the blog articles written by users of previous TA schemes offered by eLTER.
The eLTER PLUS TA/ RA scheme offers free of charge access to the site(s) and all the services provided by them.
For site visits within the scheme (TA), users will also receive reimbursement of travel expenses to, from and within the site.
Private or rental car travel will be supported if travel by public transport is not possible. If possible, on-site accommodation and/or on-site meals will be offered at no cost to the user.
If not, the costs of reasonable accommodation in the vicinity of the site will be reimbursed and costs for food as well (see subsistence rates).
Users’ personnel costs will not be covered.
For its TA/RA scheme, eLTER PLUS has predefined a set of research-questions within the following thematic categories:
- Drivers, trends and states of biodiversity Carbon and nitrogen cycling in ecosystems
- Water stress in ecosystems
- Proposers may address one or more of our recommended research questions within this framework.
Likewise, users are encouraged to define their own research questions to demonstrate further options to utilise the eLTER Research Infrastructure.
How do I apply?
1. Read the scheme details carefully - The TA scheme’s administrative, operational and financial procedures are described in eLTER PLUS TA-RA Scheme.
2. Fill in the Proposal template - Users wishing to request access must fill in the eLTER PLUS Proposal template.
3. Submit the form as Word format (do not save as PDF) to our TA e-mail address email@example.com
4. If you want to contact us regarding access or should you have any other questions regarding the scheme, please use the same address.